Monday, December 22, 2008

The last Fall update



Above picture is from a few days ago, one of my favorite subject, the other I best not say, but we all see then daily, in both small and large towns.

Well the word is that the fat lady has been singing for several days now. What I am saying it is "over" and I should have gotten this posted before the end of the week, but I don’t always get thing done when I should. We had our family Christmas, this week end so my thoughts went there.

The boss has picked up all the decoys and has got his blind cleaned out. I am planning on making that move sometime when it warms up a little later this week. I have some cans of soup that may be frozen and broke open so need to get there before it warms enough to melt.

Back to the season, it was not the productive season I was thinking we were going to have when all the rain was falling in October. For years I have said that when it gets muddy, and there are deep tracks with water standing in them you shoot ducks. We had that for a while, and we never did see, a great number of ducks. I hear that just a few miles north and west of our pits on some of the, wetlands restorations projects, that there were good numbers of ducks staying, and hunters in those areas had good hunting, but they didn’t move, or feed in our area. We had several good days on Canada’s, and some of those days, there was some top 10 shots. Not top ten for the year but for ever. Last year on Dec. 2nd, there was a shot, that I thought would never be equaled, but the Shot on Dec 14th, may have equaled it. Dec 2 there were 300 birds, and Dec 14th there were only 30 birds, but both, the anticipation of the shot, and feeling, your old heart pounding in your chest, waiting for the command, was about the same. The birds, gave us such a show, on both flocks, that will keep memories in my mind for as long as "our maker" will allow.

And as always there were the people, that graced my pit, that also help make it a great year. And I want, to say thanks to all of them too, so Thank You guys, you made it fun. And a big thank you to all of you readers, for your E-Mail comments, you make it so much easier, to type, even if you are tired. Had a short visit with the "Sand Bar hunters" of Muck Bottoms, and we shared some stories about the season and the fun in keeping you posted and his feeling are the same, that you guys make it so much fun to do this. I know that is not, a sand bar they hunt, but muck does not describe it, either. That stuff is boot glue, and makes long leg hunters out of short leg hunters, by the way it hanging on.

Now keep checking because there should be some up dates as we get ready for the Spring shoot.
So to all of you: MERRY CHRISTMAS and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Also please remember say a prayer for all the Military personnel that give us this freedom, to enjoy our hunting, and Merry Christmas to all your guys too. You’re the best.

As I said please keep checking back.
See ya Carl

No comments: